This information is found in PUBLIC RELATION WRITING AND MEDIA TECHNIQUES, 6th edition, by Dennis L. Wilcox
The Challenge of Making News:
- The main purpose of any public relations program is to provide information to the media in hope that it will be published or broadcast, resulting in publicity.
- Effective publicists need to know three things:
- They must be thoroughly familiar with traditional journalistic news values.
- The must know where to find news and how to select the angle that will be most interesting to journalists and the public.
- They must be problem solvers and come up with creative publicity tactics that effectively break through a forest of competing messages.
- media gatekeeper
- incredibly shrinking news hole
- the reality that the traditional mass media is now fragmented, and it is no longer possible to reach the larger public through a single medium
What Makes News:
- Timeliness – may be the most important characteristic; news must be current
- Prominence – the news media rarely cover the grand opening of a store or anything else unless there is a prominent person with star power involved.
- Proximity – surveys have shown that the news release most acceptable to media gatekeepers are those with local angles
- Significance – any situation or even that can affect a substantial number of people is significant
- Unusualness – anything out of the ordinary attracts press interest and public attention
- Human interest – people like to read about other people
- Conflict – when two or more groups advocate different views on a topic of current interest,this creates news
- Newness – advertising and marketing people say that the two words they find most useful are “new” and “free”
How to Find News:
- Internal News Sources:
- Important papers
- Clipping files
- Other published materials
- External News Sources:
- Op-ed – opposite the editorial page. A page that contains the views and opinions of individuals who are not on the staff of the newspaper.
How to Create News:
- There are many outlets and areas that news can be created in.
- Special events
- Polls and surveys
- Top 10 Lists
- product demonstrations
- Rallies and protests
- Personal Appearances