This set of quizzes really helped me get more familiar with the AP Stylebook. I was able to find key elements to writing which will help me reference my stylebook more often in the furture. I really enjoyed these quizzes.
- This taught me that using certain adverbs make sentences seem repetitive.
- I was always confused with lay and lie and their tenses, but this quiz really made me realize the difference and the proper way to use them.
- This quiz also pointed out words that I use on a fairly regular basis that all along I have been using incorrectly.
Dates and Numbers:
- I was never sure how to use dates, especially when one of the parts such as the year was missing.
- This helped me with dollars, decades and month abbreviations.
- I learned when and when to not use commas in series.
- I also learned when to properly use hyphens. For example part-time student and works part time.
- I now know how to properly abbreviate and capitalize titles; including military, religious, legislative and composition titles.
- I also learned when to use quotation marks around compositions and when to specify first and last names.
I was surprised to see how many small things I have always used incorrectly. I use dates and titles often in my writing and saw many uses that I have been using wrong all along. I was also surprised to find out all the rules and styles many punctuations and words follow.