This information is found in PUBLIC RELATION WRITING AND MEDIA TECHNIQUES, 6th edition, by Dennis L. Wilcox
The Wide Reach of Broadcasting:
- Radio reaches about 94 percent of adults over the age of 18 on a daily basis, with a total estimated audience of about 225 million.
- Television news attracts about 150 million viewers on a daily basis, with an average family watching about 7 hours of TV daily.
- Radio lacks the glamour of TV and the popularity of the Internet.
- There are approximately 13,500 radio stations on the air in the US.
- PR practitioners should study each station’s format and submit suitable material.
- RNR – Radio News Release
- ANR – Audio News Release
- PSA – Public Service Announcement
- TV is the primary source of news, information, and entertainment for most Americans.
- There are almost as many TV stations (1,500) in the US as daily newspapers (1,532).
- VNR – Video News Release
- SMT – Satellite Media Tour
Personal Appearances and Product Placements:
- First method – study the station and descriptions of its shows in a broadcast database.
- Directory listings can tell you program format, types of material used, and the name of the director or producers.
- Second method – watch the program or feature and study the format.